SailNet Community - View Single Post - LED anchor light
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
I've not been happy with AquaSignal's water resistance so when my anchor light went out again I decided to try something different.

I installed an LED assembly in a clear plastic container. I ran two wires out the bottom to connect to 12VDC and a lanyard at the top so I could hang it from the shroud or jib sheet. It's more at eye level than the top of the mast, and I hope easier to see. Current draw went way down so if I have another senior moment and leave the anchor light on until noon, the loss isn't excessive. Since the light is easily reached I can maintain it should something go wrong.

I've thought about adding on of those photo sensors that would turn the light off at dawn but at about 0.1A current draw, but decided the cost didn't justify the power loss.

I recently fabricated a second one for the cockpit lighting. I hang it off the bimini frame and plug it into 12VDC in the cockpit. Works well there too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook