SailNet Community - View Single Post - LED Navigation Lights
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The "masthead" light that you're describing is actually a STEAMING LIGHT, called such because it is required for boats under power—or under "steam".

As for mounting an anchor light at the mast top, it usually isn't an issue, since most masts have a masthead truck or casting that would allow a place to mount the anchor light.

Here's a photo of the masthead truck of my boat, and the shoddy job of mounting the LED tricolor that Peter Kennedy Yacht Services did.

You may need to fashion a mounting bracket to mount the light to the masthead truck. Just don't do a crappy job like Peter Kennedy Yacht Services did. The mounting bracket they charged me $40 is a piece of rough aluminum scrap that isn't even wide enough for the anchor light to mount to properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solman55 View Post
Hey guys I was wondering, I guess I have been calling the masthead light by the wrong name it is about halfway up and points straight out, so what is that? And mounting an anchor light may be a little difficult up all the way at the top cause the cables and pulleys are up there, as you know, so where would I mount it?
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook