SailNet Community - View Single Post - Maine
Thread: Maine
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Many thanks for the recommendations so far. I had not heard of ActiveCaptain before, that is very helpful.

We knew there would be hundreds of potential locations to call home for the night, but hope to have a good inventory of favorite spots on the list. We welcome any more anyone may offer.

We started into the Taft book by looking at the 5 star locations. For example, Kennebunkport came up, but channel is 6 ft. Isle of Shoals looks very interesting, but it doesn't seem to be a reliable overnight spot. Freeport says no anchoring, which is only a problem if we arrive and all else is full. Etc. Not all need to be big tourist traps, but we would prefer the option of something to dinghy into shore to see or do, even if just the scenery. On the other hand, I won't leave the boat on anchor unless I know the hold is good. If I'm unfamiliar, I general don't let her out of my sight.

The weather and mood will be the biggest factor, but our general plan is to sail out of Narragansett Bay, up Buzzards Bay to the Cape Cod Canal and lay up the first night. From there, we think we probably want to get as far north as quickly as possible and make more leisurely stops on the way back. We could probably leave the canal at dawn, sail 24hrs and arrive in the Bar Harbor area the following morning. But, that's a big commitment and I find ruins the next 24 hrs while you're totally exhausted. We may prefer to spend a couple of days sailing all daylight hours to make progress. The days will be long then.

Any thoughts on how far up the coast is practical on a two week trip from RI would also be welcome.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook