SailNet Community - View Single Post - Checking out cal 1971 tomorrow. What to look for?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010

Thorp is on a distinguished road
Thank you everyone for the advice. It was well received.

I ended up buying this boat. No remorse what-so-ever. It is my first boat- it is everything I was looking for and more. She has definitely been some work but in doing this work, I am building a connection with her and learning her ins and outs. Wouldn't have it any other way.

The first 'big' ordeal has been the sheaves. The sheaves in the mast head were seized. I scaled the mast but wasn't able to get them loose while up there. They were really stuck. The mast has a tabernacle and the next step was to lower the mast to be able to get at those sheaves better. Nerve racking as **** the first time through but we managed without a hiccup. Got the sheaves out and now it is time to purchase new sheaves and clean out the mast head. Any advice on a spray to help clean the head out? A wire brush will be my primary. And any advice on what to install, sheaves and line wise? I think I am going to side with all line halyards vs line to wire. Seems much easier, straight forward and without a downside but my knowledge on the topic is nil.

This has been about the only thing going my way in life, presently. Gotta get out of the box and do it. Sometimes that box looks as those it is 6 inch thick steel. In reality it is paper thin and punching a hole through it is effortless when in the right mindset. Happy sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook