SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wheel to Tiller Conversion
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010
WINDFLOWER-PSC37

karlinD is on a distinguished road
Tiller Steering on my 37

My 37, WINDFLOWER, was converted to a tiller last year by the NC factory during a total refit. I would not have any other steering configuration on a 34 or 37, but there are probably more wheel fans than tiller fans which surely drives the market value but my reasoning was not impacted by other's viewpoint or the impact of market value.

I ordered a new Dana (only available in a tiller)in the early 90's and a close friend ordered a new 34 with a tiller. I have sailed both boats many, many miles and a few times in some violent seas. The tiller gives a comfort in knowing there are no cables or other mechanical issues to foul and I can really feel the boat. In many ways it is like a discussion of power steering verses non power in a vehicle.

My auto tiller has been mounted with the tiller in the back position and when underway, my cockpit is huge without the wheel pedestal in the way.

William Crealock knew the benefits and designed the yacht for a tiller. The balance makes the difference.

Bottom line: tiller or wheel configuration the PSC Crealock is quite the classic.

Attached are the photos from my refit.

Windflower at the Factory pictures by kkdtrader - Photobucket
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook