SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please welcome Scan Marine as Sailnet's newest advertiser
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Question Fuelish Thoughts

We are contemplating a small furnace for our 34 footer. Duct space is very tight. We will likely have to go with the smaller of their forced air furnaces, like the 30D.
In the last year though, I have identified a new problem that's coming from out of left field (there's a corn-sourced alcohol pun there somewhere...).
I now find that while I can still find "off road" diesel at marina fuel docks for the near future, there is no assurance that this fuel will stay on the market.
Like the zero choice we have for gasoline and diesel for road use, our marine fuels may also soon end up with quite a potent witches' brew of chemical additives and alcohol.
Since my boating use involves filling a tank about twice a year and then letting the diesel sit there for up to six months, I am concerned about how well this mixture will stay "mixed". I already read stories of diesel furnaces (no particular brand) with burners clogged with odd soot or whatever byproducts that arrived with the new fuel blends.

I hope that an engineer from ScanMarine can give us customers some guidance. After paying well over 2K for a little box of furnace parts, plus adding many hours of time to do the install, I want it to work without problems.

Thanks for any help.
LB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook