SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
RM 1200 versus Pogo 12.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by myocean View Post
Hi Paulo!
I had one more look to the RM yachts and think they look really interresting. This interior design looks very reasonable for long haul family cruising. Quite comfortable. I just wonder how fast they really are. Do you have an idea? As you know me I certainly constantly compare with the Pogo 12.50...
What I don't like so muchseeing e.g. the RM 1200 is the 'small' cockpit.
Ulf
Yes I have. I had tried the RM 1200 because I had the same doubts you have.

The answer is there is no comparison. They are completely different boats. The Pogo is a nervous boat that needs the weakest of winds to sail. The Rm 1200 will need at least 7 or 8k wind to sail at 5.5K and has not the kind of feeling sports boats have at the tiller or at the wheel. The RM 1200 is a very stable boat made to eat miles on autopilot, with comfort and easiness.

The Pogo will do the same a lot faster, but you will have to reef a lot more times, be more at the tiller and would have a lot more work.

The RM can sail well with a big load (big tanks) while the Pogo will lose quickly its speed if you load it the way you can load the RM.

The interior of the RM 1200 is just great, near the perfection, the one from Pogo is quite basic.

The new RM 1060 looks a faster boat, if compared with the RM 1200 and the RM1300 is, like the RM 1200 an easy boat, but a faster one. There is one racing in the "Route du Rhum" and it is making a hell of a race, beating a lot of class 40 racing boats (but that is a naked boat ).

If you want a slightest slower boat than the Pogo, but with a much better interior, look at the Opium 39 (posted on this thread). That one has the same feeling as Pogo, and its the same kind of boat. I have sailed that one and it is really fast.

After a lot of research my conclusion (and that's the same as several boat journalists) is that a boat like the Pogo, if compared with a top sports boat like the J122 or a Salona 42 is only better if you want to cross oceans with it.

It is a boat made for the trade winds. For coastal cruising and in other points of sail the Pogo offers no advantage if compared with those boats and it is even slower and more uncomfortable against the wind. When the Pogo really excels is on the stability and speed on a downwind ride

That's why I would prefer a Salona 37 over the Pogo 1050. It is not that I will not cross oceans, but most of my sailing will be coastal, in changing winds .

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook