SailNet Community - View Single Post - Long Range WiFi -- Posting right now using "long range" wireless
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010

richardhula is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
If I’m good thus far, the last thing I need to know is, if this doesn’t work as advertised, who do I get PO’ed at?
Just yourself 'cos you will have done something wrong

Seriously though you seem to have the basics. Just one choice - do you go for the Bullet 2HP or newer M2HP (802.11n compliant) model.

It has been suggested that the M model is a tad slower with 802.11b & g connections which are still the most common in the Caribbean. I've found nothing to support this in practice, although there is the theory of greater backward compatibility overheads.

My thoughts on choosing the M model were compatibility with latest WiFi standard plus continued support I will enjoy for the newer device. Other than that the spec's are very similar. Don't look too hard for a 1000mm model though - they are shorter than that You might have trouble finding a 1000mW model as well. The true spec is 28-29dBm = 600-800mW despite the fact that Ubiquiti round it up to 1000mW in their advertising (maybe on a good day)

Would also suggest you try something a little more practical than your 12 bell antenna - might be a tad on the large side - try 12dB (deciBell) gain one instead

Even then don't use it in on full power in the USA - its only certified by FCC for use with 6dB gain antenna

Maybe I shouldn't mention this but Ubiquity provide a neat little tick (untick?) box called "Obey regulatory rules" for those less concerned with RF pollution

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by richardhula; 11-03-2010 at 06:09 AM.