SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing... boring? Watch this...
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
All good stuff.

Here's one of my favorites:

Everybody
That was on the Douarnenez Defi Nautic (Grand Prix).

Here there be Dragons - Grand Prix Petit Navire | YachtPals.com
IDA • View topic - Grand Prix Petit Navire de Douarnenez 2010

That's one of the most incredible sail event I know of. I never had the opportunity to go there but that's one of the things I don't want to miss. That and the classic boat festival Douarnenez It is not only about speed sailing (by the way, all those big sailing machines are racing right now on the Route du Rum: See solo race thread) but about all forms of sailing. There are festivals for traditional classic crafts as well as for the ultra-performance sailing machines (take a look at the movies):

La Semaine Du Golfe - Edition 2011 - Home

YouTube - Defi Nautic de Douarnenez

YouTube - Défi Douarnenez

"Since 1986, Douarnenez has organised maritime festivals once every two years, bringing together all types of traditional sailing, with competitors from the four corners of the earth. In 2004, a record year, there were almost 2000 sailing ships, 17,000 sailors and 30 participating countries.

Each year, Douarnenez has a full programme of festivals and events including regattas, local folklore, cinema, carnaval processions, gastronomy and sports. Details are available from the local tourist office. Tourism continues to prosper in Douarnenez with 91,400 visitors in 2009 representing an increase of 2.87% since 2005.

There has been a revival of Breton culture in recent years typified by the Bagad de Douarnenez, a Breton music association with bagpipes and other local instruments. The Douarnenez film festival also owes much to the Breton revival, dealing as it does with films from minorities."

Douarnenez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-02-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook