SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alberg 22
Thread: Alberg 22
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoroves View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have been looking into buying a small sailboat, and one of the potential purchases I am considering is an Alberg 22. I had a few questions regarding this boat and would really appreciate some help from you guys and girls.

The Alberg 22 is a full keel boat. Being that the boat is probably too small for offshore cruising, I was wondering what advantage a full keel would be to a boat that is pretty much limited to sheltered waters. Can a boat that small handle really rough conditions? Is it much more likely to recover from a capsize? Has anyone owned an Alberg 22 and taken her out in open ocean? Can she handle that?

I really like this boat, but I noticed that all of the Alberg 22s for sale here are equipped with an outboard. Has anyone ever seen an Alberg 22 equipped with an inboard? Or is an inboard not practical for such a small boat? I really appreciate any help. I really like the look of this boat, and the price is right. I just don't want to go out and buy one and find out I made the wrong choice...

Much Thanks,

Alex
I have an Oday 22, different boat but same size range and I have a Nissan 9.8 outboard on it which is more then enough. I don't see why you would have to put an inboard in it. Just keep a nice small outboard on it and be done. On windless evenings, I have motored my boat for miles with sails lowered and hardly burned any fuel. In fact, I would like to replace my 2-stroke 9.8hp to a 4-stroke 6hp, much lighter and easier to take on and off for servicing.

From what I read, its not necessarily the boat that can't handle rough conditions, its more often the ability of the skipper. I had my 22 out in some pretty rough situations and never felt unsafe yet and mine is not even a full keel vessel as your Alberg 22 is. Oh and I have only been sailing for 8 months now so I am NOT a highly experienced skipper. I sure hope I will be someday, practice makes perfect and I am sure as heck having a great time learning
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook