SailNet Community - View Single Post - Scary situation for both sides
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I also suspect the swift in-motion boardings are the result of people running below and shutting the valve as they see the approach. Asking permission to come aboard and check for flares and PFDs is not time critical.

If the violations stopped, I am certain they would move on.

Or vote for someone who will change the law and they will move on.
I see your point, but question the urgency. If they are going to cite the owner for not properly securing the overboard discharge fitting, then conducting a blitz boarding isn't necessary and the risks far outweigh the gains.

Why do the LEO's feel that they've got to "catch someone red-handed?" if not for the potential revenue from a hefty fine?

I grew up in FL, and have some fairly detailed knowledge of the income-driven approach to traffic law enforcement. Waldo -- so notorious that even the AAA formally classifies it as a speed trap -- was only a few miles from my home and sat between me and both work sites and play sites.

I've also spent many, many hours on FL's waterways. In just the past year, we sailed down the Gulf Coast, hung out on a mooring ball in Marathon for a couple of months, and then sailed up the Atlantic Coast. This was done in a vessel registered in Michigan. We were never boarded, an in fact were never even hailed by any of the numerous federal, state, or local LEO's. Exchanged some pleasant waves, but that's it.

I'm not saying that there's anything good about the event that started this thread, but that not every cruiser has horror stories to share. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook