SailNet Community - View Single Post - Scary situation for both sides
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I don't know guys, I'm seeing this differently. First, I have no knowledge of what has/has not been happening in FL. I've rarely been there and only a few days in a boat. In the OP report of the incident he doesn't say that he went on deck and then went back down but the Sheriff's report says that after telling whoever was on deck to stay there one of them went down into the cabin and they heard things moving around. This is South Florida, right? Land of drug dealers, smugglers, etc? Unless someone can explain how I'm wrong, I've got to say that if this is the way it happened I don't blame the officer for drawing his weapon. It's hard to swallow that the police have the right to board your vessel basically any time for any reason, but as I understand it that is the law. Until the law is changed when law enforcement officers board me I'll say "How can I help you Officer?". I might not like it, but they have the law on their side and also the guns. $250 fine for unsecured Y-valve is robbery as well as chicken poo IMHO.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook