SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Chris.. I am not one of those who usually respond "go now". My feelings are that everyone has their own idea of what cruising should be like and my advice is to wait until you are competent enough to undertake the adventure you want AND financially able to do it in the style you want. Otherwise your cruise will end unhappily.
For me...that meant waiting till the kids were grown...blah, blah.
For you...that day will come much sooner it seems. It sounds as if you are quite mechanically competent and self reliant and you have a boat that can take you where you want to go. I assume you have the sailing experience to handle your boat in all kinds of weather and will outfit her appropriately for cruising in isolated places. The only thing I would suggest to you is to cruise to someplace easy for your first 6 months or so and get used to living aboard the boat and figuring out what works and doesn't for you.
There are lots of under 30's out there and living modestly on boats smaller than yours. The only thing bad about going cruising while you're young is that you'll have to give up and go to work again some day. That is something I don't have to worry about!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook