SailNet Community - View Single Post - headroom
Thread: headroom
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006

bb66 is on a distinguished road
thanks!

I've been collecting comments from others on boats with headroom. Here's everything I have. Some were from other forums on this board.

You may want to look for a Bristal 29. It's an east coast boat that is very sturdy, a bit slow, but with the headroom that you need. She actually has a low freeboard and gains her cabin height by sending you deep into her belly and low in the water.

Vintage '60's classic plastic...one in good shape may go for $6000.00

--------------------------
q: which boat for a 6'8" guy?
a: Wow, I''m 6''4" and have problems standing up in sailboats. I have admired the CSY 44 as well for the roominess and headroom. However, I just purchasedd a Bristol 45 that has 6''6" headroom. I have a friend that has a Morgan 46 and it has very nearly 6''8" headroom in the galley area. Trouble with headroom is that you begin looking at progressively larger boats. Ever consider power boats and trawlers?

A: hi from the netherlands, I''m 6''9" so I know the problems.
Beneteau first 47.7 has 6"9 headroom overall!!

and I dont have a problem with the catalina 47 ft.

good luck,
-----------------------------
Sweet! We should totally start a club for sailors over 6'5"! I am 6'8" so this is an issue that is near and dear to me. Power Boat? For shame!!
My last boat was a Hunter 37 Cherubini that had 6'6" of headroom and that little bit of bending over drove me nuts over the year I cruised in it. My current boat is an 41' Seawolf and it has 7' of headroom. What a difference! (See also CT, Island Trader, all the same boats different names). Mason 43 and 44 although expensive also have 7' of headroom.
------
eing 6''3.5" tall … In the past four months I have been aboard literally scores of 27'' to 32'' boats and just one, a 1983 Catalina 30, has tolerable headroom specifically in the middle of the salon floor.

----
I don''t know about used ones but the Catalina 350 has 6''6" headroom in the salon (where you will probably be spending most of your time anyway). The older ones (35) are comparable. I''m like you though, looking at boats out of my budget range (like the Catalina 470 - 7''4" headroom)
-----
A buddy of mine has a Columbia 34 and that thing is like a basketball court below! I''m not sure of the actual dimensions, but I know that their relatively cheep and available.
-----
every boat has it''s compromises. In the 30ft range, larger headrooom will generally equate to more freeboard and a reduction in sailing performance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook