SailNet Community - View Single Post - mainsheet mysteries revealed?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoles View Post
None of these solutions would help me... on an about to be acquired
Rretorien 35. The traveler is in front of the door. Far away from the wheel. Hoe can I redirect the main sheet back without blocking all seating ... ?IMG_6396-20% | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The problem also arises by having the jib sheets winches too far from the wheel. Any idea?
Just want to pass along a very sage piece of advice I got before buying our boat... Before you go changing anything, sail the boat for at least 6 months. A year is even better. Until then, you're only guessing on how you're going to use and handle the boat. If you're cruising, realistically you'll be using the autopilot a lot, even for tacking, so it really doesn't matter if you can't reach the winches from the wheel. Unless you're going to be racing, you'll be hoisting sails for the puffs, not the lulls, so having the traveller in hand won't be as big a deal. Once you use an AP is how rarely you'll even be behind the wheel. For close quarters, sure, things will be different, but again, you'll save yourself a ton of money and a ton of grief by CHANGING NOTHING (other than fixing worn out running rigging, etc...) that doesn't need immediate attention for the first 6 months. After week one, write down what you think your boat improvement priorities are. Do it again every month. By month 6, you'll laugh at you first thought was important in terms of gear and sail handling for single and short handing.
Good luck on closing on your boat!

(tossed in a couple of edits... holy cow, that was pretty illegible!

Last edited by puddinlegs; 11-07-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook