SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
Smile Pirates opinion

Ahoy me lad, ye be fortunate to have the nerve to be a sailor at your age. Truth is the sport of sailing is a rich mans game and well crusing is expensive as hell if your still making the mortgage back at the ranch and if your career is sacrificed for your time spent at sea. Relationships don't hold up to well either. Truth is unless your retired or sponsored is some fashion you'd better have a nice nest egg to rely upon. Crusing as you speak is not for anyone but the most ardent of sailors. Taking a two week cruise down the Chesapeake is called boating. Chartering a sailboat in the islands is called a vacation. Voyaging to the south seas alone is extreme sport. I've spent enough time in the big blue water to tell you it is hard and lonley and dangerous.For me it is also the best times of my life when I can forsake my worldy attachments and test my nerve and skills with god almighty himself. I find nothing lacking in crusing as a way of life, but its just not a very productive way to spend your young life. Being a sailing bum for a few years isn't going to ruin your life either. Go have a good time , See you on the horizon. Pirate of Pine Island.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook