SailNet Community - View Single Post - what makes a good sailbag?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010

jephotog is on a distinguished road
My bag is a cool duffel made out of some high tech sail cloth. I keep it packed and ready to go. Being a backpack junkie I have one for each occasion anyways. In it I carry:

Layers head to toe (long underwear, no cotton)
Fleece top
Foul Weather Gear (head to toe)
Hat wool or fleece
Gloves (Sailing)
Flashligh
t(s) one small one to hang around my neck and headlamp
Handheld GPS
Rigging knife
PFD/Harness (Inflatable) all in one

Items in blue I would consider mandatory to show up and be a good crew.

The boat will have PDFs on board and possibly extra harnesses, check with the Captain if not sure, they aren't cheap. Often the Captain will provide food and drinks or it will rotate among the crew. You probably won't be expected to feed everyone on the first sail. Ask the Captain if you should bring something. He'll give you an idea if food is provided.

I will also show up dressed for the prevailing weather with sailing shoes or at least boat friendly shoes. If the weather may be snotty I will add more layers and some sea boots.

You could spend over a $1000 on what I have in my bag. You could also put together a sailing kit for $100 at a army surplus store. The items won't be sailing specific but will get you started.

Let us know how it goes or went.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook