SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents? sorry, posted this one is general discussion too
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Recently, while talking with a patient (retired physician---had money), we were discussing boats. He'd always had powerboats, still had 4 of them, despite no longer being physically able to enjoy them. He said he never got into sailing, but quickly followed with an understanding of why I did...."It's a p****-wagon." Now, trying to maintain composure, I nearly bit my lip off to control the howling laughter. It's just not every day you get that (or expect it) from a 70-something year-old man. He's a character, to say the least.
Anyway, even if that's not your goal, understand that other people (primarily outside the sailing community) may see you that way. Good, bad, or otherwise.
I think this has been touched on somewhat, but sailing isn't cheap. The majority of sailing community has dealt with other expenses first, and only after kids, etc, do they have room for sailing, or other major marine-related expenses. There are always exceptions, but if you look at the younger crowd, they tend to be more caught up in short-term issues like clothes and cars, etc., not boats. Don't let it throw you. It just means you have that much more time to sail.

Last edited by seabreeze_97; 07-06-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook