SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Newport 41....
You got faced! Awesome.....
Who knows, its the internet. Jeff could be just making all of it up! (I doubt it but it would be kind of cool if he was just completely BS'ing you).
One thing I would add to what Jeff is saying is that for every boat out there you will find at least one peson who has sailed it across an ocean.
On my Fight Club thread, I told a story about a kid I encountered in Puerto Rico a few years ago. (I go for a month to surf every winter). But it has relevance to this discussion and Jeff's point.
I was sitting on my buddies dive boat drinking an El Presidente, (we had just returned from a dive), when this guy sails up in a 20 foot daysailor with an outboard. He asks if he can tie off. Over a beer he proceeds to tell us that he had just arrived from Africa and was looking to sell his boat for the price of plane ticket back to Germany. True Story! You see the story begs the question, did the fact that he had just crossed an ocean make his 20 footer a good blue water boat? When you think about this story...you can start to see Jeff's point.
A fin keel boat like yours will always give you an ass kicking at sea when heading up wind. It's just a fact. A full keel boat is more comfortable. That is why true ocean going boats like Island Packets for example utilize a full keel design. You have a nice and very fast boat. It just may not be a very comfortable ride out there in the Pacific.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook