SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
Let me know what you sail so I can tear a strip off it

Jeff,

I don't mean to disregard your opinions. You do seem to know what you're talking about for the most part. Yes there have been some badly made Newports and yes the fiberglass is primative. Mine was built much later in the production run and the resin pockets and bad lay up you speak of don't seem to be a problem with mine, although she is an inch thick below the water line. I have installed large backing plates on high stress areas so that I won't get a scar from any fittings ripping out of the deck. With the deep keel (6ft) and the mkII rudder she handles well even with my brother flying the chute way too high as he often does and a fifteen foot following sea. I know 18000lbs isn't really heavy. That wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was refering to the ballast ratio. Speaking of numbers, I'll let you look up the ultimate stability rating yourself. And I appreciate that you've sailed these before but I own one, and it isn't older than I am like the one's you've been on. She's not perfect. I've made a lot of modifications. To say that she's poorly built is unfair and you have to admit the hull design is one of C&C's better. You can't blame a sailor for getting defensive about his Vessel. As for the size and the comments about the cost. Well, she was bigger than I was looking for, but I went for a sail on her and fell in love, you've sailed them so you know how they move. As for people's coments about the cost of cruising. I's been a long road to get here. The boat I bought has been offshore recently and has extensive equipment uncluding monitor wind vane, good sails, and various electronics. The best part is the set up is exactly what I wanted. Simple. Simple basic systems, no fancy chart plotters and air conditioning. I'm young with a young crew. We can rough it, to a point. She still needs a lot of work but at may age you can afford these things when you don't have a lot of other financial obligations. I also work as a forest firefighter for the government so I make good money and have the winter to ge the boat ready. Thanks again for the entertaining discussion.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook