SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Newport 41

One of the crummy things about the internet is you don't get a chance to look the other guy in the face and see where he's coming from. Face to face you would have said, "Hey, wait a minute, I like my boat!" and I would have had a chance to explain where I was coming from, long before we engaged in the internet equivillent of throwing down gauntlets and naming seconds.

Beefed up a bit, and treated with a bit more circumspection than you might treat a boat that was purpose built for offshore work, the Newport could work for what you want to do. There's a good chance you'll wear the old girl out before your reach OZ or NZ but that's not the end of the world either.

My point was not that the Newport was any less capable than the boats that we sailed back when I was your age, It is certainly a lot more seaworthy than the 1949 wooden Folkboat that I restored when I was 24 and tried to live on. Its just a very different approach.

If you want to throw stones, I sail a Farr 38. Few around here would think of her as an offshore cruiser either. I know her shortcomings, her bunks are narrow, her fuel supply is a joke, she doesn't track worth a darn, but I bought her for her strengths, good motion comfort, very easy to handle, lots of room, good offshore manners, brilliant engineering, and great speed for a 10,500 lb boat.

In life most people end up with boats they love, freckles and all. Boats look more like their owners, inside and out, than dogs ever will.

A tip of the hat to you and a wish of good luck,
Jeff

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-05-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook