SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
Wink I could listen to this all day

I have to put in my two cents here, you guys are way too entertaining. I gotta agree with Surfesq here to a point. The full keel and more traditional bluewater design generally seems to have a better sea motion. That's only logical. On the other hand. There are fin keel boats that when loaded properly can be just as comfortable. I hate to bring up my boat again (that's a lie) but it does't have a flat spot on the hull and has a deep V all the way to the fin keel. This cuts waves well like a full keel but points remarkably well. The weight distribution thing is all about how you stow things. My point is that with a little thought you can have a fin keel with a seakindly motion. Not that a Newport 41 is the only boat that is like this, or even the best example but it is one that I have seen work. Many of the Transpac boats from the same era or sorc boats are the same way. I know I don't have to explain these concepts to the likes of you two. Just trying to point out a middle ground that we could all agree on. Atleast I think we can agree on. It's my job, I'm Canadian.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook