SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Wink

Surfesq,

It may be someone's common wisdom that a "a fin keel will point higher but bounce you to death such that you have to fall off." but any knowledgeable sailor who has spent time in a fin keeled boat designed for offshore work, or who have bothered to read all of the studies of motion comfort including those where they instrumented real boats, will tell you there is virtually no relationship between a full keel motion comfort.

Frankly, the Brewer 12.8 with its fin keel/cb has a much more comfortable motion than the identical hulled Whitby 42. The Perry designed fin keeled Valiant 37 has no less comfortable a motion than its close sister the Tayana 37.

You need to get out on a variety of boats, attend a few Yacht design seminars presented by people that actually know what they are talking about, and not believe everything that you hear at the bar.

By the way this is the second time you totally missed it about my career. My degree is a dual architectural engineering degree, and my office strongly supports 'smart growth' principals which means building in intensely developed areas rather than supporting urban sprawl.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-05-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook