SailNet Community - View Single Post - Calling All North American Spirit 23 Owners
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010

lionshooter is on a distinguished road
Was wondering, how did you find out that it has a swing keel? Mine has a center post; on one side it has a winch and a cleat, the other side supports the table... I was told that it has a shoal keel. 76 NA23 Would this indicate that I may have a swing keel also?

wprodigy.
The Spirit 23 has a fixed keel. There were 2 models, a deep draft (very rare) and a shoal (shallow) draft. The keel on the shoal draft draws 24". That makes it easy to get to the beach and to get it on a trailer but won't point worth a damn. So, in order to have the best of both worlds, Glastron put a swing centerboard inside the keel. With the board down, the effective draft increases to 6' so the boat will point up quite well. It is about 4' long and made of balsa and fiberglass. It weighs less than 100#. The winch on my 79 model was located directly behind the ladder. The cable ran straight down and attached to the trailing edge of the centerboard so I never had the problem of chafing that Dennis did on WindyWay. You said that your winch was at the ctrpost. I can not imagine how they routed the cable from there to the rear of the keel. I guess they changed the design before the 79 models came out.
Stan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook