SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single females answering crew ads.
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
And the "Dredging up long-deceased, controversial threads" Award goes to...Oh2Sail!

Anyone who accepts an unvetted crew member (male or female) for a passage or a delivery deserves what they get as far as I'm concerned. This ain't the U.S. Navy. There are no regulations, no UCMJ, and you can't throw someone overboard like it's the year 1652 anymore.

The same goes for any potential crew who doesn't vet their potential skipper. These days, any moron can own a boat (obviously, because I'm here.), that doesn't mean that they have a tinker's clue about what they're doing. It's not blasphemy to ask a skipper what his experience and credentials are.

Here's a simple formula that might help out: If you are a female, the odds that you are going to be pressured for "companionship" are inversely proportional to the total number of crew onboard.

In otherwords, if you're the only crew, you're likely there for companionship. If you're amongst several, the odds are better that you're there for your actual sailing skill.

I've been very fortunate. On the race boat that I crew on, half the damn crew was female, and they were AWESOME! Great sense of humor, and good sailors the lot of them. They all have my respect, and they taught me a lot. God love 'em all.

Now that I'm racing my own boat, I have one female, and as Lapworth will attest, she also gets along well, and pulls her load. She doesn't complain and will perform any task. She even brings good beer.

I find that a little respect goes a long way.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook