SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single females answering crew ads.
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010

Oh2Sail is on a distinguished road
Hello, SVAuspicious,

I'm quite confused about what pushed your buttons. This post had to do with male skippers expecting sex of female crew members... there's nothing even implied about female crew expecting coddling from male skippers or females being irresponsible.

In fact, I was saying, Women, be responsible, and simply ask upfront if it appears the skipper might be expecting sex -- before you step on the boat.

As a woman looking to crew (and I crew like "one of the guys" ) I'm certainly disappointed to hear you've had bad experiences with women crew. But what in my post pushed your "women make bad crew" buttons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I don't often post to herSailnet (I'm not a 'her') but this pushes my buttons.

I've had more than one lady show up to crew expecting to be coddled and catered to. While I've certainly had some fantastic female crew those that expect something for nothing (I'm not talking about sex - I'm talking about pulling one's own weight) are a significant portion of the respondees to calls for crew.

When I go back over my records for crew on my boat and on deliveries, the proportion of no-shows and drop-outs among women is much higher than among men.

I like to think I'm an equal opportunity sort of person, but the numbers are becoming overwhelming.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook