SailNet Community - View Single Post - Slightly unorthodox anchoring technique
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006

Iraklis is on a distinguished road
Slightly unorthodox anchoring technique

Hi everyone,

My (possibly wrong) intuition tells me that the best way for an anchor to set is the following: after the initial tug, let out all the rode you can, and then motor in reverse. This will keep the anchor most parallel to the sea floor & should allow it to set better. Afterwards, you can reduce to whatever scope you'd normally use.

My thinking goes as follows: unless you do this, the force that will dislodge the anchor at its final scope (e.g. 7:1) will be the same as the maximum force you can use when motoring backwards. Using e.g. 10:1 just at the "setting" phase should allow you to bury it even more. I'm not saying that this will make 7:1 work just like 10:1 - all I'm saying is that this would bury the anchor deeper, which should be a good thing. This would probably hold true for any anchor that requires you to motor backwards.

I am familiar with the "proper" way to do this. However, I only suggested this as an idea and my sailing instructor almost failed my ASA bareboat certification (I guess he took it as a statement instead of a question). Obviously, there are situations (e.g. med mooring) where you can't do this. But can any saltier SailNet member think of something wrong with this approach?

Thanks,
Iraklis
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook