SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single females answering crew ads.
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Ig

"Or are sailors like this all over? "
Usually it's just the male ones
But there are exceptions I hear.

Perhaps it's more of a YC "party atmosphere" thing than a sailing thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandGirl View Post
The first couple of times, I did this. Then paranoia set in: it is me? am I sending the wrong signals? do I have some kind of a reputation? I really don't think so. It's only that I'm single, and that apparently makes me fair game when not on shore.

This is now the default. What really gets me is that I thought I had a nice, comfortable camaraderie with these guys, some of whom I've known for a couple of years since I first bought my boat and joined this club. But no: it turns out I have to be on my guard all the time and I can't have a normal, non-paranoid conversation with any of them anymore. I have to limit my trips to the club to times when I know there will be lots of other people around. It's all so tiresome. Maybe it's just that I have the bad luck to live in the Land of Creeps and Jerks? Or are sailors like this all over?

As of today, my sailing season's over: I don't have to deal with this cr*p again until next spring, so I'll shut up now. Sorry again for the hijack. It's really important for women to be cautious about sailing with people they don't know yet, but I also hope some of the guys who read this -- especially if they're married or otherwise taken -- will think twice about how they behave themselves on board with the women they already know.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook