SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts on Pearson 31 as a first boat?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Seems like, no matter how much room you have, you can almost always want more, so whichever you get, you'll need to make peace with it and limit yourself accordingly. In your comparison, it's not just the length, but the extra beam in the 34. You have to balance the cabin envy against the $15k and other issues. The 31 was designed with a bit more sportiness in mind, and it maneuvers accordingly. Also, you indicated the 34 needed more work up front, so there's more than just $15K to look at. You can always move up later. I'd grab the 31 and upgrade the gear as needed, but you have to sail it and live with it. I have a Bristol 32, and yeah, compared to even the P31 it's tight. I have 6' headroom, but with a 22ft waterline, there are many roomier boats, even below 30 ft. For me, it's trade-off. I'm not ready for something larger, and those long overhangs make for a gorgeous boat. Again, no matter how much room you have, you can always suffer cabin envy, but at the end of a day with your boat, if you're smilin'... you're good. Enjoy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook