SailNet Community - View Single Post - Does a bow thruster slow you down?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
We have a bow thruster on our 43'er which was factory installed, so I do not have a before and after speed comparison. I will say that it might have a slight impact as after all there is a hole in the hull which is likely to impact water flow past the bow. That said I have no problem exceeding hull speed so any difference it might make I could care less about. As for it being a new trend I for one love having it. Yes it becomes pretty much useless in winds above 15kts but it certainly is more of a help than hinderance. I'm one of the people who use it as a rudder which adds to the ability to put the boat just about anyplace. Combine it with prop walk and you can just about spin it on it's axis. It's the same principle the Dock and Go systems are using. I also occasionally dock without it just to avoid total dependency on it. I have had the thermal fuse trip on it docking in heavy winds so it's best to keep the docking skills sharp. Bottom line is it's a great addition which I wouldn't be without.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook