SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pearson Wanderer - Deal or No Deal?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laHolland View Post
Would you pay $6600 for this boat?
I just paid more than that for a 1968 Pearson Wanderer 30 in August.

Get a survey. I did. My surveyor gave my boat a fair market value of $7800. I've seen Wanderers listed for sale within the past couple years at $10,000 to $15,000. I saw one sell within the last year for, IIRC, about $12,000.

Seems to me that if it's in good condition, $6,000 would be a very good price.

It is a well-built boat with a very solid, heavy, sturdy hull. My bilge is very dry - I have yet to have enough water in it for the bilge pump to even pump it out. There's never more than a couple cups of water in there. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself saying that).

If you have to have a gas engine in your sailboat, the A4 is the one to have. I've got an A4 in mine and have been giving myself and education on them - sign yourself up at the Moyer Marine site - Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Powered by vBulletin - where you'll find every possible thing you could ever want to know about the A4 engine. It's a great little engine and practically bulletproof.

You'll also want to sign up at the Plastic Classics forum: The Plastic Classic Forum • Index page

Simply put, $6600 for good old well-built cruiser like the Wanderer is a very good price, unless there is something tragically wrong with it - which you will hopefully find out with a survey. I looked at boats for about a year or more before pulling the trigger on my Wanderer and have no real regrets about it so far. Everything I have read about the Wanderer has been very positive and my more experienced sailing buddies all say it's a very good boat - which my experience so far bears out.

Best of luck and let us know how it works out - I haven't seen many other Wanderers out there. Pearson made only about 177 of them, and I'd love to know what happened to them all.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook