SailNet Community - View Single Post - Well, I did it-doing it...
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010

NightWing is on a distinguished road
Hi guys..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNDebbie View Post
Since my Hunter has a similar underbody, I'm thinkin she got a little tender in the gusts.
Hmmm ... at no time did it feel unsafe.
The worst that happened was she rounded up into it about a dozen times
between Marblehead and Sandwich. At first it was disconcerting.
No helm, way overpowered. Then I learned to not fight it, just let her round up for a second then get back to business.
I guess this is a good time to mention that off Sandwich the furling line let go!!
Right in the worst of it and right when I felt most confident.
The Genny went from 20% of the brand new 150 to 100% of it!!!!
Without hesitation I ran to the pulpit, hauled about 5 feet of what was left of the furling line and proceeded to turn the drum by hand while the bow was
kissing the sea then 8ft above it. It wasn't working until a friend came up and leaned over (We looked like a scene from "Broke Back Sailor") and helped.
Definitely the scariest most death defying thing I've ever done, and I've done
a lot of scary death defying things. Oh well, at least I was having fun.
(Rather than risking my life @ work... that's really stupid).
Yea ... I've often read Catalinas were a bit tender but I didn't feel that way.
I was very pleased how she handled that weather. Especially in the confidence she'd never see it again if I could help it. I do believe the mast step got a little more compressed. Some new spider cracks I didn't see before. Oh well, small price to pay.
There were 4 of us on board. Me and another with experience, one with lots of ocean time on power boats, (he thought it was fun) and one that thought
the rest of us were crazy. We weren't. The weather had exceeded predictions and topped out. We had a couple of reefs left. The boat could handle it and we could take care of the boat but that weather will be avoided and good to have as a memory from here on. With any boat.
I'm out for cocktails and sunsets. !!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook