SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Prices/Boat Values-Fiberglass
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ditto Sailing Dog's opinion. Some boats hold value much better and are in high demand and thus less open to discounting. Others are less desired and in plentiful supply. Some brokers prefer to list high and come down in negotiations...others encourage owners to be realistic to encourage a quicker sale. So...even setting aside age, condition, time on market etc. , I think it is impossible to generalize. The way I've always done it is to try to determine what the boat is worth in FULLY restored "cruise ready" condition by comparing it to others sold (BUC book) of the same model and SIMILAR boats....(i.e. BeneHuntAlinas!) ...then deducting for the cost to bring the boat being looked at to that condition. Then offering somewhat below that depending on my assessment of the owners urgency, the time it wil take to restore and how hard it would be for me to walk away from the boat! Then I let the surveyor help me reduce the cost further by finding the stuff I was not aware of and providing estimates as to the cost to repair.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook