SailNet Community - View Single Post - Challenging ASA ratings?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Hi Moorehal,

I appreciate all your great advice and suggestions. I think you are underestimating my experience, possibly almost as much as I may be overestimating it.

Twenty years ago I challenged the bareboat rating and passed it, never having been on a keel boat before. After a few months of sailing and a 3 day course I was able to charter bigger boats including a Hans Christian 33 and other boats in other areas along the west coast, and a night charter in the SF bay.

I was probably in over my head in those days but it all worked out. Since then I have sailed a lot more, and am a much better sailor now than then. I have a lot of time on boats on 35, 38 and 45 feet in length often as navigator, tactician or trimmer, and sometimes helmsman.

I would not mind taking a class I feel I would benefit from. Your course description for the ASA 104 seems like a good fit for what I need to work on. If I could find an advanced or intensive course I would love that is up to my skill level I would love to participate in one.

I am pretty confident in my ability to challenge the navigation portion. I was a decent navigator 20 years ago when I took my first sailing class, but now I am a professional pilot and flight instructor. Most of my piloting takes place at 200 knots. This also makes airfare not an object if I am going to take a class it won't be in the shifty mountain winds of the Rockies but one of the coasts.

I was in communication with a school owner that certifies instructors. I had planned on sailing with the owner to challenge some ratings, and let her evaluate my skills. The time I had allotted did not work out but I plan on following up over the winter.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook