SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Bavaria 40

I have said on previous posts that the Bavaria 40 had a great running rigging and I have said also that the Bavaria looked a bit fat to me and have a particularly ugly interior.

It looks that tastes vary a lot because YachtingMontlhy tested the boat and found it beautiful. Well, British were always more attracted by practical things than beauty but even so, calling that saloon: "clean elegant and stylish" is just a bit too much for me . they also say that the "Bavaria 40 is a sight for sore eyes. Though she is a very beamy boat she doesn't look it".

Well I disagree, the saloon is appalling and the boat could look really good.... after a diet

But I agree with them when they give 7 out of 10 for the deck layout. They also give 8/10 on the helm "feeling" and sensibility, 9/10 in Design and construction, 9/10 in maintenance and 9/10 in sailing performance.

I find that 9/10 in sailing performance exaggerated. Sure the boat would smoke a 40 Halberg-Rassy a Malo or even a Beneteau, but that very good performance was attained with the use of a huge geenaker, that many sailors would not use.

The German magazine "Yacht" that had also tested the boat give it a potential speed performance of 4.33 while they had given to the previous Bavaria 40 4.5 (4.0 for regular cruiser, 5.0 for regular cruiser racer) and that is what I have said. This boat is slower than the previous model, Farr designed or not .

I trust more the German testers, they really try to be objective. Their measured speeds with 16/21k wind and 0.6m waves where:

40º - 6.7K 60º - 7.5K 90º - 8K 130º (Geenaker) - 9K

The British with 8k wind on a broad reach with gennaker made 7.5K and on a beam reach 6.9K and close hauled with 6K wind made 5.4K.

Not bad for a modern cruiser (incredible fast if we compare it with a 20 yerar's old cruiser), but I guess I can not forgive it the fact that the previous model was faster

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook