SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living aboard with a dog/bathroom needs
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010

Serendipitous is on a distinguished road
We spent a few months this summer trying to teach her to go on the boat, and we're planning on having her be able to do so before we leave. We'll probably get a piece of astro-turf or something similar to place at the bow of the boat. Thanks for all the handy tips on getting her to use it, we'd just being telling her 'go potty' (a command which we think she understands) while up on the bow, but she's old and stubborn and would hold it until we took her to shore. We're planning on getting 'Skipper Bob's' which sounds really helpful. I know my husband has also read up on what we need to take her out of the country, we'll be taking her to a vet in Florida, but it's nice to know all the in's and out's from someone who's done it before.
I am planning on getting or making her some kind of bootie as I'm worried how she'll handle some streets and rocky beaches, but would probably be nice for her to have on the boat too. For the most part she's in the cockpit or sleeping below, so I'm not worried about her running around the deck in bad weather. And if all else fails my mother-in-law is more than happy to take her for us while we're away, but we'd like to share the experience with her if we can.
Thanks for all the info so far, I've learned a lot!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook