SailNet Community - View Single Post - 46' Spindrift / Hillier Yachts Center Cockpit
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006

AZNova is on a distinguished road
46' Spindrift / Hillier Yachts Center Cockpit

I was in San Diego for the past week and spent some time looking at a few boats. One in particular that caught my eye was a Spindrift 46. According to the broker, it is a variant of a stretched Kelly Peterson. I have looked around on the net for information on this boat/builder but found very little. Anyone have any info/experience with this boat?

Here is the link on yachtworld.com for this particular boat:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1441401/0

I am looking for a performance cruiser in the 44'-50' blue water cruiser that I can singlehand - not necessarily a racer/cruiser but a boat that will perform well in all wind conditions and at a good clip. Previous boats I have looked into have been Hylas, Stevens, CSY, C&C, etc.

What I liked about this particular boat was it is a center cockpit, cutter rig with a modified keel, bow thruster, all lines run aft (definitely set up for single-handing), good-sized ground tackle and an electric windlass, large tankage. The interior was comfortable and roomy with an L-shaped galley. On my initial inspection it looked in good shape. When I asked the broker (who I have had previous conversations with) what was wrong with the boat, all he could point out were minor cosmetic issues and a leak around the mast. The leak had caused discoloration in the headliner but that was all it looked like from my perspecitve.

The only thing I didn't like was the leak around the mast inside the cabin and that I banged my head twice going into the Master Stateroom.

Improvements I would make to the boat for myself would include a watermaker and a generator/solar panels.

I know that only a survey (and time) will tell if there is anything truly wrong with this boat, but I did like what I saw.

Now, I am interested in the sailing characteristics of this boat. How does it perform in various wind conditions, rough weather, etc?

Thanks for any and all comments/suggestions...

Steven
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook