SailNet Community - View Single Post - 46' Spindrift / Hillier Yachts Center Cockpit
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006

sailandoar is on a distinguished road
Nice Looking boat!

Teak decks are great to look at and great to walk on but (1) can be a real problem in that they are a potential place for fresh water to get into the deck core (rot), (2) to leak thru to the interior (pain in the neck) and (3) a regular maintenance item (time & money). It is not necessarily a selling point and if there were to be deck core issues that is HUGE HUGE dollars for repair even to the point of writing the boat off. TEAK DECKS ARE NOT BAD but it pays to be extra careful.

Have good mechaninc/surveyor give you some feedback (if you can not do it yourself) on the boats systems. Is the wiring well done and labeled and are terminal blocks accessable. Same for plumbing. Those things will EAT YOUR LUNCH when you take the boat you GOT A GOOD DEAL ON to the yard and get a few things fixed. Talk about a snowball.

Sorry, I know this was not an answer to the question you asked but my fingers were itchy and I needed to type.

Best Luck,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook