SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Well, I did it-doing it...

8K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  aquaman9 
#1 ·
Just moved aboard my '77 Catalina 30.
Picked it up in MarbleHead 2 weeks ago. Sailed her to the Sandwich
Boat Basin in weather that changed my mind about a Catalina's
sea worthy-ness. (Gusts to 40)
Laid over a day while the weather calmed down
and continued the next day in 10-15mph winds to Watch Hill in 14hrs. Got in at 1am. (Once Point Judith was in sight I could smell home)Very happy with the boat. Now I just have to do ...everything.
I am ecstatic. Love my cozy little cabin and walking the docks in the morning.
Cooking and cleaning, watching Netflicks on the laptop.
It's been plenty warm. Using a little electric heater and have a Dickinson
Newport propane ... but I'm not impressed with that at all.
I'm thinking of enclosing the chimney with another S.S. flu I've already aquired then mounting a fan in that to try to draw off some of that heat and force it to the floor. I still haven't insulated or wrapped her yet.
Looking for another sail or two before that while I'm waiting for my permanent winter dock.
I'll be the only liveaboard here this winter. That sucks a little and envy you guys with neighbors. I am good friends with the owner here (were in a bluegrass band together) and all the crew. That's one leg of the stool that got me here. The other two are: I spent a couple of weeks sailing Penobscot Bay with a friend on a CD 25 and was plenty comfortable with 2 of us.
2: I want to be where there's palm trees every winter.
It wont be this winter however.
Well, time to make some coffee and bacon & eggs on my little Origo
while the sun peeks through my portals.
I am LOVING it. I just need to make sure I'm warm and cozy in the bitter
cold this winter and it will be the best thing I ever did!!!

I'll be back with 100 questions.

See less See more
#40 ·
Oh yea! No problem. Hardest winter I've ever seen here. Temps down below zero. Lots of snow. But I'm comfy cozy and loving it.
It was hellatious the Sunday after Xmas. Big winds had me on deck every few hrs tying something better or figuring out what the new sound was or getting the fenders back off the dock. I've reconfigured things and hoping the next big blow wont be a threat to the boat. I did have reports of 70-80mph. Noreasters ... pretty much a New England winter hurricane.
Other than that it's just keeping an eye on the bubelers and hoping we don't get 2 many single digit nights in a row. Wind and ice, my 2 enemies. I should post some pictures.
I'm living large otherwise.
I'm getting which project to start 1st. figured out. With the clear tent over the hull it's dam warm on deck if it's 35 and sunny. Kinda gets ya thinking about sand paper. :)

Thanks for checking in w/ me.

Victor

#42 ·
We have ice eaters around us. Check out this thread, post #32. http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/70795-sailing-every-week-so-far-fall-winter.html I was at the boat on the 26th, that same blow you were in. Only I think you got it much worse as I was southwest of you.

Just saw there are a couple main sails for a Catalina 30 on eBay right now, expiring soon: Main sail for 1983 Catalina 30 sailboat. - eBay (item 160536171534 end time Feb-01-11 11:19:59 PST)

Looks like he's parting out a boat, check out his other auctions: tharv11 items - Get great deals on Parts Accessories items on eBay Motors!

His shipping is astronomical, but he's within driving distance, over in PA.

Regards,
Brad

#43 · (Edited)
Hey Brad. Thanks for the link to your post.
I'm not sailing so I have everything winterized.
I wont be going anywhere until I pull the boat out as
early as I can and get a lot of chores done.
I'm hoping for mid April.
I'm all set with Main and jenny. Both brand new.
Short a spinnaker but have limited resources and lots of
other stuff on my shopping list.
Meanwhile...un-like you :) I'll actually post a couple of pictures.

#44 · (Edited)
And.. I wish I got some Xmas lights up too.
That would have been fun but they wouldn't have made it
through that storm on the 26th - 27th.
I was at the GFs and decided I should go baby sit my boat
Sunday afternoon. It didn't get my attention until about 6pm.
Good thing I was here.

See if I can get this image thing to work..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.