SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fixable? advice on damage to an old lark...
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010

mvy18 is on a distinguished road
Fixable? advice on damage to an old lark...

A couple years ago my older brother and I were given an old lark for free by a guy who was cleaning out his backyard. It had a two small cracks in the fiberglass by the mast, which we were able to patch up with fiberglass. But we were really to young to fix it really took the boat out much for various reasons, and it's been (ironically) in our backyard ever since.

Now I'm in college and on my school's team and want to fix up the lark to have a boat to practice in during our breaks. Problem is, upon inspection this afternoon, the boat has a puncture on the bottom of the hull, directly below where one of the original leaks was (see pictures below. The first two show the hole from below; the third shows the hole from above. The orange is our patch of fiberglass. As you can see from the fourth picture, we didn't do a very good job - the part that's coming off is directly above the hole on the bottom).

Here's my question: does it look fixable? If so, any suggestions on how to go about it? Or is this the kind of damage that warrants scrapping the boat and looking for another one? Beyond fixing some minor things - new hiking straps, a couple new blocks, new line, a good cleaning - the boat's in great condition. It even has sails that have been used in the single digits...

Thanks in advance!
Maddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boat Image 1.jpg (60.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Boat Image 2.jpg (53.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Boat Image 3.jpg (77.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Boat Image 4.jpg (84.0 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook