SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What on earth do I buy??

4K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  redunculous 
#1 ·
So

I initially started looking at hunters as the interiors are laid out in such a way I can see myself comfortable on board for long periods of time.

Then the workmanship was placed under a cloud by a few people... Not only that but the rigging as well as the sail-ability.

So I switched fire to a Catalina 380 around the 1995 upwards mark. I heard good things about them with regards to the build and the way they sail.

What do I want my boat to do

Simple really, I wish to put it somewhere like the keys, and island hop, furthest I plan on is heading over to the Bahamas etc and hopping some more.

So is a Catalina going to do what I need it to do? Can it handle those crossings without too much pain? I've heard lots of bad things but I've also heard lots of good things.

Too much information really can be a bad thing as I now really doubt my choices, although when it comes to safety that can't be a bad thing.

I hope this all makes sense and someone can give me some clarity because I desperately need it.

See less See more
#5 ·
Budgets around 90k which rules out a few of those as the minimum I wish to go for is 38ft

I've had a look at the ones you've listed but as bad as it sounds I really like the layouts on the hunters and catalina.

Thank you for the site, I was buried in that the other night but have no idea how I missed that page haha!

#6 ·
A Catalina can easily handle the trips you envision. I've recently come back from the Baja Ha Ha where three Catalina 36's made the 900 NM trip without a problem. Is your $90k budget after taxes? This might be tough to buy a 380 for that amount. for example, my 2000 C34 recently appraised for that amount.

#9 ·
I think I should be ok, I have the 90k before taxes and them some left over for whatever I encounter that requires some work.

I understand its going to be a bit of a squeeze price wise but its going to be cash and I'm hopeful that with the economy the way it is that a boat owner who's had their boat static on the market for over a year (of which there is quite a few) is going to accept an offer in my price range.

How did they fair in rough weather? Do they hold well or are you battling to stay on course?

Thanks for the info

#11 ·
Many people will tell you there is nothin wrong with a Hunter or a Catalina, and they are rite... as long as your not looking for sailing efficiency. These boats are comfortable, but not fast and responsive. But, that's just my opinion and I love to race any boat I'm on regardless. I even crew on a friends New Hunter 40, its a shoal draft version, and the boat rarely does'nt finish last and rounds up in more than 25knots. I would recommend getting an opinion from someone you trust and who is unbiast toward these cookie cutters that so many people will recommend only because they own/have owned/ or want to own one. Hell... I've met Bucaneer owners who on the dock will tell me their boat is fast!

Good luck friend, Steve. Hylas 44

#13 · (Edited)
I have owned my C34 for a little over ten years and have both cruised and raced her pretty extensively so I have a pretty good idea of the product's capabilities and how she stacks up against the "competition". I have also raced (2nd place, PacCup, 3rd place Rolex Big Boat Series) other people's boats so I think I can keep any bias in check.

The 380 was under development at Morgan when Catalina bought them out and Gerry Douglas completed the design with a "Catalina" style interior and some minor tweaks to the rig. I have sailed on that boat a few times and in winds in the mid twenties (TWS) in San Francisco Bay. The boat sailed well and balanced (110 jib). I have not sailed that boat in a heavy sea state, but from what I experienced, she should track well and not be too tiring for the helmsman. The boat does have an ST6000 hydraulic autohelm which is more than capable of handling high sea states in that boat. Rig wise, the 380 has a higher aspect mast than the typlical Catalina and some variants have a baby stay installed. I did not detect any mast pumping on the boat I sailed. I do not track the 380's pricing so I don't know if $90k is a good figure or not. Catalinas on the West Coast tend to have a higher resale value for some strange reason. Just be wary of any hurricane boats.

What has impressed me the most about the product line is their relatively high value for the price. They are not constantly redesigning their products and they do use a lot of common parts. They have a high economy of scale. The downside is they do not do custom work, so one Catalina pretty much looks like another (but it does keep the used boat prices high). They do have a fantastic customer support organization (run personally by Frank Butler himself) and the owners are quite loyal and have very active websites. Performance wise, they are not racehorses. My boat rates a 147 here in California, and I need to sail her well in order for her to match her rating. In open YRA, OYRA and SSS competition I am in the front half of the fleets and occasionally finish in the money. A lot of boats mentioned on this BB as being superior, I have prevailed over in racing. The only Hunter I have had the opportunity to race is a Hunter 47 in the Party Circuit. I have never failed to correct out ahead of him and I occasionally beat him boat for boat. Not bad for a "fatty catalina" that's over ten feet shorter. Sure, I'd love to get my hands on a Sabre 42, but at a half million for a used one, it ain't happening any time soon.

This photo is from the Double Handed Lightship race a couple of years ago. We finished third.

#17 ·
They say that if you can sail the great lakes, you can sail anywhere. I have been sailing Hunters in the great lakes for years. Heavy weather may come quickly and with little warning. Gusts to 55 knots can appear with thunderstorms and my Hunter 340 handles the weather with ease. My priorities are safety, ease of handling and comfort. The Hunter takes full marks for all three.

#19 ·
That would be CRUISINGDAD, not SailingDad... and he's also the technical editor for the Catalina 400 for the Catalina Owner's Association newsletter.

#21 ·
The Catalina will do handle your itenary, as will the Hunter. I am personally not a fan of Hunters which is why I did not buy one. If YOU like them, then that is what matters. Your sailing instructor will not be sailing this boat. I will not be sailing this boat- you will. Bottom line- buy the boat you love.

Now if you want to take on a more adventurous itenary, there are better boats suited to that purpose but no way would I tell you which ones because the list is far too long and with too many variables.

#22 ·
sorry

for the delay!

I didn't realise that the replies were still building up as I think I inadvertently switched off the e-mails.

I guess first off I need to explain this is my first boat... I want to enjoy it, I do love the racing side for sure and have done a little bit myself. I thought the catalina would be a happy medium for me. Not having had a boat before though I'm not really going to have any comparison for the moment so maybe I should just spend less and take a 40+ hunter for a while? I never realised boat buying could be such a task I've been looking on and off for 2 years and solid for the past year and I'm still unsure.

Its the interiors of the catalinas and hunters (1995 upwards) that are doing it for me I'm not ashamed to say. I understand that I most likely will not be down there a huge amount unless I eventually decide to live aboard but its still what I like most.

So now you know its my first one it may help :)

George B - appreciate that rundown, I too would love to get hold of a Sabre but that type of money is definitely not within my grasp at the moment and I think I would shed a fair few tears when I pranged it. The 380 is one I have looked at in great detail as of late.

TheWhiteRabbit - I nearly did the same thing :laugher

Olson - I can honestly say that I didn't know as I haven't even glanced at them as yet - although I currently have a couple of tabs open in firefox giving me the rundown!

puddinlegs - Good question and a tough one to answer, I want to say at the dock as I believe when I'm sailing and its nice outside I'd be topside, but then would I be if its nice below? So I'd say a bit of both.

BGallinger - Ease of handling is the big thing there for me in your statement, I plan to spend a lot of time with just myself and my girlfriend on so that ability counts a great deal.

Seaparrto - will do thankyou sir

cb32863 - would I be sacrificing safety for a nice interior? I've seen the ratings on both boats and they seem pretty tough to me?

Mimsy - without wishing to start anything, could I ask what your reasons are for not liking the hunter? I'm always interested to hear other peoples views. As for an adventurous itinerary I thought the catalina would support that?

Thanks all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.