SailNet Community - View Single Post - Galley counter-ceramic tiles
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Galley counter-ceramic tiles

Well, its a holiday and i have time and access to a diamond wheel wetsaw etc. so im thinking of redoing my galley counter. i have a few questions and would really appreciate any feedback. speaking of feedback, its that time of year to attach the feedbag--so happy thanksgiving.

ok, lets talk turkey. har t har har couldnt resist.

the current setup has a thin layer of what appears to be pre-corian synthetic that is seriously bonded to the plyunderlayer (which appears to be teak). there seems to have been a leak (which ive arrested) that caused the synthetic to 'peel' up from the ply--but only in one spot by the companionway. what im thinking of doing is resecuring the slight delam area with a counter sunk screw and just tileing over the whole kit and kaboodle. ive got the sink/faucets so they can lift out, and set them back in on the new counter, and am able to fashion spaces for the screws to go into the preexisting counter.

another thing im very unsure of is that the current setup has three flush access panels (two to pantry stowage, one to chiller) that have the flush ring type pull tab. while im not too worried about making a cut out for the pull tab, all hinges and edges (it would seem)--well maybe not all but the hinge/latch side-- would need cutouts as well to ensure proper open/close operations--or could i cover them and bevel at 45 deg each to maintain opening ops?

i would hate to have to yank everything that is there and sound, but want to have proper functioning....

thanks again

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Last edited by QuickMick; 11-23-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook