SailNet Community - View Single Post - Galley counter-ceramic tiles
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
good call on the 'lift out.' as for the food prep, i never really use the actual counter surface anyway, but bamboo choppin' block. would your thinking differ if i use 'glazed ceramic' cut to fit, the only grout application being edgework? but heck, some bit of chow always gets away from you (or at least me...lol) and id hate to try to fish it out of a tightly fitted seam...
Nope. Ceramic surfaces are, by nature, porous - so even when glazed, a scratch or nick in the countertyop from something dropping on it will look awful after a month or so.

If you're wanting something cut to fit, have you thought of granite? The people who sell stone benchtops will often have 'small offcuts' that they'd be happy to cut and sell. All you need is a thin veneer ('tile') like they use on the outside of buildings and IMHO that would make for a nicer, more durable, finish than ceramic..