SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Opinions welcome->Good Old Boats

5K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·

After a short side-diversion looking at a Flicka in need of a lot of project work (glad I shook that one off), I am back on track to looking for a used sailboat in the 29-34 foot range.

Primary use: Liveaboard + Coastal Crusing [in that order]

Primary gripe: Headroom. I am 6'' and want to be able to stand up/walk around without bumping my head.

I have to admit I like good/well designed interiors but that is a secondary criteria. The first criteria is I like older boats so far I have concluded because a) some are built well/overbuilt on the hull and b) they help on a college student budget to offset costs with liveaboard abilities.

One line that I had in the past focused on was the older Cal sailboats. I have inspected 29''s and 30''s and originally I was told to get a Cal 34 by my sailing instructor. The 29''s and 30''s are nice because they can be had locally for 10-14K price range, and the 34''s are in the low to mid 20s for initial asking prices.

To keep from being too close minded, what other boats should I be looking at while trying to avoid the dogs (my word for poorly constructed boat models/year ranges).

petermct@hotmail.com
http://www.peterdilley.com/

See less See more
#5 ·

Would have suggested the C&C 35 but thought they might be more than you wanted to spend. They''re nice boats that look good, sail well, and hold up reasonably because they''re put together sensibly. Happy sailing!

#8 ·

I''m not sure if you wanted to go this low..but the bayliner Buccaneer center cockpits are really roomy and less than 10k. If your just looking for a place to live and a good baysailor, or light coastal work, give it some thought. There are plans and specs at www.geocities.com/buccaneersailboats

#11 ·

Thank you for all who have responded.

I didn''t want to mention this until the deal closed. I wanted the C&C contract to fail and 2 minutes after being freed of a bad decision I was on the phone to a broker and bought the following:

I am the proud owner of the only Allied Seabreaze on the west coast.

Sneak a peek at it by copying the following into your web browser address:

http://www.gorsky.com/~pdilley/images/sailing/allied/allied_bow_01.jpg

#15 ·

Don''t overlook Bayfields. They''re rare, but they''re undervalued. As Gozzard designs, they''re intended for a cruising couple and therefore make pretty decent live-aboards. Classic looks, true blue-water construction. Sizes are 23/25 (same boat), 29, 32, 44, possibly others. Would recommend 32 up, but I know a 6-4 guy who lived aboard a 29 (6-2 or 6-3 headroom) for several years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.