SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Let's see your boat's name

51K views 190 replies 121 participants last post by  Mormandeus 
#1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread to warm me up on this cold January day. I enjoy the creativity of boat names, graphics and logos and perhaps you do too! So, let's see a picture of your boats name.

Here's mine:

See less See more
#159 ·
Mine needs new paint (and a renaming) so it's not on the boat yet... but I'm toying between the following ideas for the transom (yes, I know the outboard mount needs some work too). I know most of you are going to mispronounce this in your heads, so the proper pronunciation is "Teenoo".

The first three are variations and experiments using fonts, and this is what I like best. My requirements are that I should be able to get a stencil made out of vinyl in order to paint the name myself, so nothing overly complicated, but I didn't want a standard font.

This next one though, is the one I'm leaning towards the most.. essentially just a ghosting of the "shadow" of the letters so that in certain light and certain angles you can see it, in others you can't. I love ghosted flames on hotrods, and I'm looking for the same subtlety. Not sure if I'm going to achieve this using a slightly lighter or darker shade, or if I'm going to go even more subtle and apply the same shade but matt.. I'll have to tinker with it.

It's too bad I can't do this with the registration numbers.. "But I swear they're there! You're just looking at it wrong!". Then again, if I register federally, then there's no need for reg. numbers.. just a unique name :D

#160 ·
Wondering why you want a vinyl stencil.... why not apply a vinyl name/decal?

However if you want to stencil it you could make your own out of any self-sticking material like "mac-tac" shelving sheets.

But nowadays vinyl decals can be quite elaborate and won't cost much more, if any more, than having a 'stencil' cut....

#161 · (Edited)
True.. but while I'm a "youn'un" relatively speaking, when it comes to this kind of thing I'm old-school. I used to be into muscle cars and hot rods, and nothing peeved me more than vinyl over paint instead of a proper paint job. I always thought of it as taking the easy way out, and I *hated* feeling that raised edge. And then there's the risk of catching an edge when cleaning, etc.. AAAaaargh! Some may (and do) disagree, but it's just my opinion on the issue..

So while it's not exactly the same thing, and I don't have a problem with having a vinyl name on a boat (I know most of you do) I'd just be unhappy having it on *my* boat. Plus it's got enough plastic on it already :D

Yes, I may be unreasonable and stubborn, but at least I know it ;)

And you're absolutely right, especially if I go the ghosting route where the design is extremely simple - I can cut it out myself..

Didn't want to hijack the thread with the merits of vinyl over paint, so you may now resume your regularly scheduled programming of kickass boats with kickass names..

#174 ·
Here's my new boat (purchased in Dec. 2010)

Named after my departed grandmother who go our whole family into the ocean.

Attachments

#182 ·
My 'new to me' Islander 32, Cahoots

BTW, that pic was taken up near Manitoulin Island at Club Island. Water temperature was 19.5 degrees celsius, which is 67 degrees fahrenheit. Hence the pained look....

#187 ·
Halcyon

Replacing "Annapolis" with "Rock Hall" is waaaaay far down on our To Do list. That's my 75-YO mother in the cockpit who I tried to turn into a Galley Wench but she settled right in to being Senior Boat Fluff instead.

Vehicle Water transportation Boat Sailboat Sail

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.