SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&C 24 Former Yard Derelict - First Sailing Season Afloat in 10 Years
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010

captainmurph is on a distinguished road
C&C 24 Former Yard Derelict - First Sailing Season Afloat in 10 Years

After sitting neglected for 9 years and a year-log renovation and repair, my C&C 24 - now named Carib Dreamer is snug inside a storage building after her first year sailing out of Saugatuck/Douglas on Lake Michigan.

While I have a list of projects to do this winter - including removing all topside hardware and toe rails for sealing and new topside paint - I am pleased with how much I enjoyed the comfort and seaworthiness of this fine craft.

While I didn't get the chance to make any trips and limited my sailing to 3-4 hours at a time after leaving the mouth of the Kalamazoo River, I found her sailing abilities were remarkable.

She pointed well and handled up to 6 foot seas with great stability and neutral helm. I used the main full or with one or two reefs depending on wind and found that she was very well balanced. I used the standard 70/100 reefable jib full most of the time, never got the 150? hanked on but did (see pictures) use the gennaker on a couple of occasions.

I did a lot of work to get this boat seaworthy including major hull repair on both sides, but it is solid and, with a tiller pilot addition and a bit more projects completed, is ready for venturing further afield in the spring.

I came to know this boat farily thoroughly during refit and would be glad to help any others who are tackling major project.

Captain Murphy
s/v Carib Dreamer
Saugatuck/Douglas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2177.jpg (32.5 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2243.jpg (94.6 KB, 151 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook