SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starting an Atomic 4 after heavy snows
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 11-25-2010
jaschrumpf
1975 Newport 28

My boat has an A4 in her and I've done all the maintenance myself, including a head gasket change. I highly second the advice to get over to the Moyer Marine site, as they have top-notch support for the engine in both the forums and from the owner, Don.

First thing I'd do is check the oil and make sure it's not too dirty and there's enough of it. Straight 30W is the recommended oil. If you need to change the oil there's a square plug down low on the block just aft of the carb. You take that out and use one of those manual oil extractors ($25 at WalMart most likely) to slurp out the old stuff. If the engine has been maintained you can most likely go with the old oil just for the first start.

If it's raw water cooled, do not open the seacock first. If you have to crank her for more than a few seconds to get her going, you don't want to pull water into the cylinders, which will happen if the engine isn't running to force the water out the manifold and into the exhaust system. Once it's running you can reach down there and open the water flow -- it won't hurt her to run for a few seconds without it.

Basically, this is what I'd do: (1) make sure I have quick access to the raw water input. (2) Make sure any shutoff valves on the fuel line are open. (3) Run the blower for five minutes and do a sniff test below. (4) Pull the choke all the way closed. (5) Crank her up. Once she fires, go below and open the raw water input and check to make sure you have flow out the exhaust. (6) Push the choke back in to open her up after 15 seconds or so -- you can tell when she doesn't want to be choked any more after you get used to her, as she'll start to run a bit rough within a few seconds of starting.

If after all that you have a running engine, congratulations. If not, it's time to start running through the air/spark/fuel checklist. Come on over to Moyer Marine and join us there -- we'll get you running!

Good luck!

S/V Free Spirit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome