SailNet Community - View Single Post - Swing Keel or Fixed Wing Keel? Catalina 22 or 25?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006

BRCincy is on a distinguished road
Swing Keel or Fixed Wing Keel? Catalina 22 or 25?

Hello all,

I'm brand new to the board, and to sailing. For some reason, the sailing bug has bit (though to be honest, I have wanted to do this since I was a teenager). I am beginning to look into a small pocket cruiser type of boat to sail on inland lakes, and/or Sandusky Bay/Lake Eire. I live in the Cincinnati area.

I have been looking at the Catalina 22 and Catalina 25 more and more. I have eliminated the MacGregor 26X, and the Hunter water ballasted boats from my list of possibles. What I am really looking for is a trailerable boat that can be launched and retrieved relatively easily. What would be better, a swing keel, or a fixed wing keel for ease of trailering (launching and retrieving)? Both the C22 and C25 have a swing keel option, or a wing keel option. Or, are they both equally trailerable?

Next question: Which is the better boat for day sailing and short multi-day trips, the C22 or C25 (given the trailering requirement above)?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook