SailNet Community - View Single Post - code zero vs 150 genoa
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010

capecodda is on a distinguished road
code 0

I don't know if this will work for you, but the setup we have includes a 110 jib plus a code 0. The jib is on the furler all the time. The code 0 is on a wire luff and has a furler always attached while rolled up in the bag (like a snake). A number of companies make furlers that work this way, furling around the wire luff. In light air we hoist snake in front of the jib (our rig is fractional so there's room), and then unfurl at our leisure. If the wind pipes up, we furl the code 0, unfurl the jib, and keep going. We drop the snake again, at our leisure, mostly back on the hook at the end of the day.

I asked the sailmaker if we could just leave the code 0 up. If we wanted to do this, the sailmaker would add a UV protection layer which adds weight. Given how light the sail is, he recommended against this. We designed the sail so that at about 12 knots apparent, it's time to put it away. The good news is, you can sail very well in very light air with this setup.

Again, I don't know if this will work in your situation, but we really enjoy this setup and recommend it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook