SailNet Community - View Single Post - sailboat names
Thread: sailboat names
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2001
JeffH

sailboat names

Jeez Folks, This is an easy thread. Nothing all that controversial here.

Denr''s advice that the best names for a boats are typically single word names and easy to understand words is very classic advice that goes back at least to Herreshoff (which also preceeds yachts calling over a radio for advice). The use of a single word and a clearly understandable name is important not just for rescue but for any less dramatic kind of radio communications be it rescue (either as the rescuer or the rescuee), contacting a marina or other sailing vessel (i.e. shipping in a confined channel or any other kind of communications. It has little or nothing to do with pessimism or lack of self reliance. On the other hand, it is not a rule that I have stuck with having owned boats called Midnight Express, Havn, Miss B. Havn, and Rugosa.

On the other hand, even if Denr did not find Jafeica amusing, at least some of us may have found it cute. I also normally think of the word ''buddy'' as meaning friend and not having a gender preference. Chill pal!

Lastly, Fmclean there is no need to shout (words in all caps on the net means the word is shouted). That said, I suspect that all of us would agree with you that, ''naming a boat should not be based on the pessimistic principal of having to call for help" and that a part of boats is being self- competent. Its is still easier to comunicate self- competent sailor to self- competent sailor with a simple to understand single word names.

Group hug folks. That''s better!
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook